One of the most effective ways to reduce your summer energy bills is to reduce your home’s cooling load. By taking steps to avoid introducing heat to your home in the first place, you can ease the burden on your air conditioning equipment, running it for shorter periods of time to achieve the desired level of indoor comfort.
In the HVAC industry, the term “heat gain” is used to describe any factor which adds to your cooling load. Here are some simple strategies you can use to minimize heat gain and reduce your energy bills:
- Seal all cracks and gaps around exterior windows and doors using caulk or weatherstripping.
- Make landscaping adjustments to add shading around your home, particularly over your windows and roof.
- Upgrade your insulation to inhibit thermal transfer, warding off heat trying to penetrate your home from the outdoors.
- Use window treatments, such as shutters, blinds and thick curtains, to shut out heat and sunlight during the hottest hours of the day.
- Avoid using your stove and dishwasher unnecessarily. On hot days, eat cold meals or use your barbecue to make food, and run your dishwasher overnight.
- Keep your use of lamps and overhead lights to a minimum.
- Be sure that all windows and doors are tightly sealed when you are running your air conditioner.
- Add a radiant barrier in your attic to literally bounce incoming heat back out of your house.
- Inspect your ductwork for leaks, and seal any leaks found.
- Insulate your ducts to prevent conditioned air from being affected by the external temperature.
- Use reflective films and sunscreens around windows to stop sunlight from heating up rooms.
HVAC contractors can also perform detailed cooling load calculations to help you make wiser and more judicious use of your air conditioning equipment.
If you have any questions about heat gain and cooling load or if you’d like to discover more ways to cut your home energy bills, please contact the experts at Robert R. McGill Air Conditioning. We serve residential and commercial customers throughout the Palm Beach, Delray and Boca Raton areas.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about lowering your cooling load and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
We are providing you the global most competent air conditioning support in Riviera Beach, Royal Palm Beach, Wellington and West Palm Beach. However our AC auto fix shop is also discovered able in Lantana, Lake Worth, Lake Park, and Lake Clarke Shores. AC is one of the most necessary devices for summer’s warm and whenever it is impaired then please don’t create any misunderstandings to get in touch with us for a obvious calculate on your AC device.
Image via Shutterstock.com
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!