There are a lot of inexpensive ways that you can benefit from energy savings in your South Florida home. The more energy you save, the lower your energy bills become. But be careful; there are a handful of energy savings myths floating around that can do more harm than good. Be sure to avoid the following energy savings myths:
- Buying an energy-efficient air conditioner or heat pump automatically lowers your energy bills. It can, but only if the cooling equipment is properly installed and properly sized. If the unit is too large for your home, you will waste energy and get uneven cooling. Too small and it will struggle to cool your home. You also have to be mindful of system compatibility with ductwork.
- Turning off home appliances means that they’re not using energy. Unfortunately, this is not the case. If your appliances are still plugged in, then more likely than not they are still absorbing power. To truly cut off their energy usage, you will need to unplug them or turn them off with a power strip.
- Setting the thermostat substantially lower will make your home cool down faster. Your home cools at the same rate no matter how low you set the thermostat. So by setting your thermostat far lower than where you ultimately want the temperature, you’re not only wasting energy by making your A/C unit work longer, you’re also making your home uncomfortably cold.
- Turning your lights on and off wastes more power than just leaving them on. Simply not true. When the lights are off, they’re saving energy, whether you’re going to turn them right back on or not.
- Investing in solar energy means you have to leave the grid. You can use solar energy and still be tied to the grid. Many residents use solar power during the day and switch to electric during the night. If you have a surplus of power from your solar system, you may be able to sell it back to the power company.
These are just a few energy savings myths that you should be aware of. For information about actually energy saving possibilities, please contact us at Robert R. McGill Air Conditioning.We provide quality HVAC services to eastern Palm Beach, northern Broward and southern Martin counties since1979.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Palm Beach County, Florida about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).
If you live in Royal Palm Beach, Wellington and West Palm Beach then you can enjoy our experienced AIR CONDITIONING Service. And our service is also available in Coconut Creek, Coral Springs, and Deerfield Beach. AC is most fundamental equipment for summer and whenever it is crocked then please don’t oscillate to contact us for a clear estimate on your AC unit.
Filed under: Energy Savings
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!