Is your air conditioner more than 10 years old? Do you feel like your A/C repair costs have been higher than normal the last few years? If you answer yes to these questions, you’re probably ready for an air conditioner replacement. In most cases, A/C experts recommend you replace your air conditioner if:
- An air conditioner is more than 10 years old and isn’t adequately cooling your house.
- Repair costs are 50 percent or more of the total replacement cost.
- Your A/C is using more electricity than it used to.
Here are seven significant benefits you stand to gain by an air conditioner replacement:
- Energy savings. In general, the newer the model, the higher the energy efficiency. If you’re making an investment in a new A/C, look for models with the Energy Star label, which signifies high efficiency and quality performance. The extra money you spend now will be recouped by energy savings within a reasonable amount of time.
- Cost savings. Homeowners who live in hot/humid climates, such as ours, use as much as 50 percent of their energy consumption on cooling costs. When you select an energy-efficient air conditioner replacement, you can save substantially on operating costs every year.
- Maintenance. An Energy Star-rated A/C should result in far fewer maintenance calls, which increases your monetary savings. An annual maintenance call should be all that’s necessary for the first several years.
- Humidity control. A high-efficiency air conditioner, equipped with a variable-speed blower and two-speed compressor, will offer superior humidity control and air filtration, which enhances both your indoor comfort and air quality.
- Air purification. Speaking of indoor air quality, talk to us about purchasing an A/C replacement with a high-quality air filter. This is especially beneficial for those who suffer from seasonal allergies or other respiratory conditions.
- Duct design. If your home was built prior to the 1990s, there’s a good chance your duct design is inefficient. Before you replace your A/C, have a trained technician evaluate your home’s duct design and make recommendations for how to improve it.
- Tax incentives. If you purchase a qualified air conditioning replacement by Dec. 31, 2013, you can take advantage of federal energy-efficiency tax credits to defray part of the cost.
Ready to replace your A/C? Please contact us today at Robert R. McGill Air Conditioning, Inc. We provide superior HVAC services to South Florida homeowners.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Palm Beach County, Florida about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).
Image courtesy of Shutterstock
Filed under: Air Conditioner
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!